June 21, 2008

Goodbye to a Prophet

I walked out of the banya less than an hour ago. hahaha don't worry, I only did the sauna and such, I didn't go in the hot tub or anything and all the girls thought I was super weird and wanny. But it was a WAAAAYYY better banya than last time, totally cleaner and like, Arabian or something. It was super fun and now I’m absolutely ravenous, cuz that's what happens when you go to the banya.

Yesterday, we went over to Cheyenne's (you remember her? Her man played basketball for the jazz and now plays here,) for lunch and her man Hoffa, (who is a HUGE, gorgeous Brazilian, by the way... good to know where I need to be looking for a man,) was like, "here, you can watch the debates! Or would you rather watch mtv?" haha of COURSE I said neither. Then he offered me internet access on his lap top. Totally tempting.

But we had a BLAST with them! Hoffa and Cheyenne freaking rock! Cheyenne made killer chicken and rice and then this REALLY good flan-type stuff, but it was way better. Hoffa offered us his driver any time we want. That was awkward, haha, but he MADE us use his driver yesterday instead of the metro to get back home to our area, which was far away. His driver loved us and is coming to church on Sunday and probably to English practice too. Anyways, I love them and am super stoked they're here for a while longer. Cheyenne wanted us to go snowboarding with her today.... but what can you do.

I went on a split this week with Sister M and I liked her a lot. And she’s American. I didn't think I wanted to serve with the American girls, but I think it would be a big help for me in different ways. So maybe one day we will serve together. We went tracting on Tuesday night together, and that was super interesting. We went to an address we had been given for a contact. We walked up to the gate and without even pausing, it opened automatically for us. Then we walked to the dom door and a person came out immediately so we walked right in. Weird. We both looked at each other and were like, hmm, think we're meant to be here. I love how God seriously just opens up the way.

Anyways, the contact woman was totally cracked out. Literally, on crack. But she said she would call us. We didn't want to leave, so Martineau was like, I've never tracted before, and I told her I love tracting. We only had two Books of Mormon, but we were like, hey it's enough right.

The first two people who opened their doors wanted the books and we talked forever and they were just so cool. So then we were out of books and went and got more at the building. We found another dom to tract and on one of the doors, we knocked and the babushka quickly said, "come in come in!" and we were like, COOL! The other lady was on the phone but got off to come and talk to us. Ended up the babushka didn't live there and just thought the other woman was expecting us, so it was a really funny awkward situation.

We watched the broadcast of President Hinckley’s funeral, which was really good. I was totally bummed to have to watch four hours of it in Russian, but at the last second, they got an English feed for us downstairs, so all the American missionaries went down and watched it there. I love him. It was a really good funeral and I hate funerals. I think it was just because the whole thing was so happy, you know, so I just was able to enjoy it and be happy too. He was an amazing prophet and I'm sad he's gone since he has been prophet for the majority of my life, and since I can remember. But I know Monson will be awesome! I haven't heard any news about it yet, but I'm sure he's the new prophet, right?

I love my district. I haven't told you much about Elder K. He's my newer zone leader. He's from Ohio, plays the guitar and writes music. Totally adorable, EVERY girl (investigators, members, babushkas, non-members) are all madly in love with him. Rita, my girl getting baptized is madly in love with him. It's hilarious. But he's way rad! So it makes sense.

Thank you so much for supporting me here!
(written Feb 7, 2008)

No comments: