March 29, 2008

Winter skirts and leeches

It's FREEZING! Today it's 3 degrees C... whatever that converts to. But 3 degrees in general just sounds absolutely revolting to me. Everyone keeps on saying "oh, you just wait..." like it's my death sentence or something. I'm excited to have the new experience of cold beyond my mortal comprehension, but I'm sure that curiosity and excitement will wear off the first minute and a half i have to walk in it. I guess we'll see. But for now I'm completely bundled and the girls keep saying i need to buy winter skirts... who knew there WAS such a thing? I thought a skirt was a skirt. But now i see that at night when we're walking home, i feel completely naked from the waist down. wow.

Elder Eyring and the new apostle were fun to watch. We are having conference this weekend, so I'm excited. They're going to have it in English and Russian, so yay, I'll know what's going on! :) Should be fun, we're watching it both days at the branch. PS, have i told you about the branch here? It's HUGE! Well, for Russia. I walked in and I was like, WHOA! Am I in America? Then they started speaking and i was like, nope. The building is 3 stories and it's the NICEST church I've ever been in ANYWHERE. It's so fun, I'm so thankful to be here!

OMG, the hospitals here are a nightmare, just like in Pskov! The one i go to is really nice because it's for Americans, but wow. We went to visit one of our investigators in a hospital and it was so scary... we walked in, it's all concrete, dark, rusty, no elevators, smells like human pee and puke, everything is moldy, our investigator was in a 10 by 12 ft room with 4 other patients... wow. I tell you, you can't even know until you experience it. The girls told me that it was normal and it's not as bad as some of the hospitals they've been to... i told them i would be dead by now, because there is no way i would go to a place like that. death vs. scary psycho hospital where you probably come out with more problems and diseases than you had when you went in? I'll take death thank you.

You want to hear something gross and funny? we went into the normal aptyeka or pharmacy the other day and they had a HUGE jar of 4 inch long leeches swimming around. I was repulsed, i started dry heaving, but i couldn't take my eyes off the jar the whole time we were there. I eventually asked the clerk how much they cost and they were only like $1.50 in American money. I actually considered getting just one to take home and name. you don't need to feed them or anything! But then my logic kicked back in and i remembered how grody they were.

A few tiny little facts or stories: The elevators here are sooooo scary mom! you would die! they're 3 by 3 feet and so rickety and we ride them all the time! AH! I always expect to plummet to my death! I usually have to just say to myself, "it's okay, if the cables break, it'll be like tower of terror at CA adventure and you love that ride. just chill."

I buy spices now from an Indian man at a bazaar near our house. I buy stuff like curry and this really good spice, i have no idea what it is, but he gives me everything for half price because I'm a missionary! I still need American spices tho, if you consider sending them! PS, thank you again for the pkg! :) The tuna was a big hit in our apt.... they had never had it like we make it.... weird.

Yesterday, we went to get on the metro and there was a HUGE crowd outside the station. I was like, no way we're getting in that line just to get IN to the station. Oh, but we did. Can I just tell you it was like the craziest mosh pit I've ever been in! haha! I thought i was going to die! And i got separated from my comps and i kept yelling, "DON'T LEAVE ME! DON'T LEAVE ME!" But it was sooo fun! I LOVE the city! Then the metro was packed, man, it's shocking how many people you can fit into one when you stack them. Hilarious experiences and i can't wait for you guys to come and experience it all too!

I love teaching with my new companions because i feel like I'm really a part of the lessons! I get to talk about principles and stuff instead of just testify, and i feel like my language is improving a lot... but i am just SO far behind that it's hard not to get frustrated. I feel like the biggest moron most of the time, but what can ya do. I just SO badly want to speak! It's hard to contact at all because nobody wants to listen and i have such a limited vocabulary that it's next to impossible for me to really talk to anyone. So I just hand out English invites. I really started wondering the other day if these people who say rude things or straight up ignore us will cruise to judgement after they die and watch their life back and see that moment when we tried to talk to them about the gospel and they dissed us hard and just be like, "....crap."

My favorite girl here, Era, is getting baptized in a week! i love her so much! And her mom Svyeta, is so amazing! I feel the spirit so strong when we go and teach them! Her mom wants to get baptized, but she works every Sunday so she's looking for a new job! WOW! I'm so happy!

Oh, guess what! Prez Putin was here the other night, at the opera as we were passing and we asked what was going on. Yea, he was there. And as we were walking by the side of the nice opera building, we looked up and it was night so the windows that were lit were in plain illumination for us and WOOOH, naked concert men just getting ready in these rooms, like, no big deal. The girls were scandalized and i was laughing hysterically. :)

I met a man named Max and he's HILARIOUS! He loves Elvis, but he talks like he's a southern black man and refuses to speak English. he hits on me all the time and everyone has to be like "STOP touching her!" It's only cuz I'm American tho. You should hear the things he says. And i just sit there and laugh! haha

Can I just tell you how thankful i am for things like girls camp and mutual, and things that i never really thought about growing up, but were there because of the church. I'm sooo thankful! They don't even know WHAT girls camp IS here! So i just sit and tell stories at night all about mutual activities and fun times at camp and stuff that i didn't even know i remembered. I feel so lucky for growing up in America. I miss everyone sooo much! I love you more than anything! (written on Oct 11, 2007)

No comments: