March 7, 2008

Lost in Russia

I live in Ad. Need I say more? Hahahaha, just kidding, I love it here! And Hell is way nicer than here anyways, so I can't compare. ;)

K, so we had our mission conference this last weekend, and it was a total blast! We had to take a 4 hr bus to Novgorod where there are 6 other missionaries and the Prez came with his wife and the APs and it was basically one big party. :) Of course we learned and were spiritually inspired, but it was a party nonetheless.

The real story comes after. We got on the bus to go home, but after riding for 4 1/2 hrs and not recognizing anything, we checked to see where we were.... We were in Pestova... we went in the COMPLETE opposite direction!!!! Oooooo, it's a good thing Elder J. wasn't there... he booked the tix.... we wanted to murder him! I'll tell you more about him later. :)

So it was a TOTAL DISASTER. Elders D and A decided to return to Novorod, cuz they had to go back on Monday anyways, and we... well we (Sosyak, me, Elders J and S) got in a taxi and drove for 2 hrs to Voldie. We had to walk in the dark to find a bathroom. I walked in and was like, "I can't go in here! it's so dark, I can't even see the toilets!" and the Elders were like "...There aren't any..." There were big scary holes in the ground! Thank goodness I didn't walk in any further! Needless to say, I refused to go and ended up holding it for over 24 hrs! Sosyak went, no problem tho...

Then we cruised this ghost town in the middle of the night and finally found a 24hr shop where we stocked up on weird, sad food and then we had to wait for 4 hrs in the train station where we were entertained by a harmonica and guitar playing gypsy. Dad would have loved it! The train.... well, it was an adventure. We got on and there were walls and walled of people stacked sleeping.... it was so so weird. But we got cozy and took our 7 hr ride back to Pstov, got home just in time for church..... wow, I was dying. :) But what a rad time huh! haha

I've been cutting people's hair and last night i did a pretty rockin' haircut to one of my investigators! She loved it, I'll send pics.We have some awesome investigators! One of them that we've been teaching, I LOVE her! Sosyak and i have 2 other baptisms in the works and we have gotten some other miraculous investigators this week. it's amazing how things happen.

Have I told you about all the young soldiers walking around EVERYWHERE!? Here and in the city. My gosh, they're on every corner, every bus, everywhere! it's weird, but I'm getting used to it.

For service, we went to bath a babushka. This woman was so sad, she totally looked like a Holocaust victim... her body was so mangled... and she was sobbing the whole time, I think mostly because she was so embarrassed. but she had a baseball sized tumor on the side of her head and it was bleeding, a lot, the whole time we were there. They're too poor to get it removed... When we had to carry her to the bath and back she screamed bloody murder. Basically I was traumatized, so I'm trying to just scan through it. Sosyak and I silently sobbed when we left... it was horrible. But we took the elders back to bless her and it was way better that time. They cried after tho, and they didn't even see how horrid it was before...

Sad, let's talk about something else.

So I teach the advanced English class and I love it! It's so fun! And last week I got an investigator, Anya, out of it. She's totally rad, and punk rock! :) I told her all about you guys! All my friends and family. :) I miss you so much! I'm teaching again tonight and we'll see how it goes.

K, random things....

did you know they wear wedding rings on their right hands here? rad!

i was bit really hard the other day.... but not by a dog... by a little girl.

I'm still eating horrible things at member's houses, but I'm really good at it now. :) The other day we were eating at the same bab's house we did before and she set what looked like a pile of steaming caviar or rat poo in front of me. I prayed it was caviar, even tho i hate it. It wasn't. So then I just prayed I wouldn't die. I'm really good at pounding food down in .2 seconds.

tell my sister that she would obsess over the jeans here! they're amazing! We met the slumlord, I think I told you about them. but the landlady came and Sosyak fights with everyone, so of course she fought with her. But the landlady loves me for some reason and thinks I'm a "funny girl". so guess what... WE GOT A NEW OVEN!!!! yay!!! it's a gas oven, but hey, it's an oven! And she said she'll fix anything else we need. Today I've been throwing away EVERYTHING! All the junk everywhere! It's gone! hahaha it's so fun and feels good. I think I might love my apartment, after all :) (written Aug 9, 2007)

No comments: