March 2, 2008

Fashion mecca!

So the Elders hopped onto a bus but there was no room for us, so we hopped into a beat up, rickety van. They're everywhere, these vans, because they're the taxis here. We got in the back and it was full of other people. Then we were off... OMG, these things could move! We traveled at the speed of light weaving in and out of other crazy cars and merged onto freeways without slowing down for the oncoming traffic or anything. Then, to switch lanes... what are blinkers? No, they don't waste time. they just switch at a 90 degree angle. It's insane and awesome at the same time. That's how driving should be! Nobody seemed to be wrecking, so it was all good. :) There were no road rules obviously and I'm not gonna lie, it's a little scary when walking around. I'm sure if I die here it will be from getting taken out by a normal, everyday, driving Russian. And everywhere people would just pull up on the curbs. I don't understand how this is done since all the cars are miniature and only 2 inches off the ground anyways.

So I just had a great convo with my comp. We both sat with our dictionaries out. :) She speaks really well for not knowing english until the MTC! She's 24, only child, baptized when she was 14, totally gorgeous, prayed about marrying her boyfriend and was told she needed to serve a mish! I'm not gonna lie, k even tho she was my nightmare, being a native and all, I think she's gonna be the best thing for me. :) Her old comp who is from Kiev and I love, told me not to mention that I like any kind of rock, don't tell her how much I love the style and hair, and that she wasn't going to speak english with me, ever. Sounds horrible. Don't be yourself and enjoy the silence for the next however many months... but no. I like her and am kind of pumped to have her because maybe, just maybe, I can improve in the language faster than I thought, which means I won't be living my BIGGER nightmare of not being able to communicate for the majority of my mish. Wishful thinking, I know, but hey... it's possible, right? So I'm excited and think this will be rad! I'm so happy to finally be here!


So back to getting here and all. We finally got out of the taxi (which was totally like experiencing the Knight Bus from Harry Potter) and I had tried contacting the dude who sat by me.. No such luck. So we were in the city...


OMG... There's no way to describe it. None. After 10 minutes of being there, I was convinced there was no cooler place on earth! It was like I was in my own personal heaven! Just... a really sinful heaven. ;) It's the MOST fashion forward place on the earth, I'm convinced! OMG! I love it! Everywhere, EVERYONE had mullets or mohawks... rockin ones... EVERYONE! And the clothes... omg, WHY did I bring anything! At the end of my mish, I'm going buck freaking wild here! Hottest clothes, HOTTEST shoes, HOTTEST hair ever! wow. ALL the men, dad's age and all, wear hot pointed shoes, rock full on amazing mullets, wear tight rocking jeans and pants, and hot shirts... you just have to see it, it's so HOT! I'm so stoked! I'm in fashion heaven! The rest of the world can NOT be aware of this, cuz if they were, Hollywood would so be a thing of the sad, sad past.


Now I can't even start on the architecture... it's freaking RAD! Beautiful. Everything is BEAUTIFUL! Even the alleys (which yes, I experienced...) are gorgeous! I love this place! I begged the president to place me here at some point, even tho it's supposed to be really hard. I love it. wow, the smell of alcohol is SO strong right now... Anyways, we contacted on these crazy busy streets and it was so fun! Being denied wasn't too hard, yet. But lots of people took my fliers, so that was good.


Everyone here smokes. Everyone. 13 years old? Yup. And there are a lot of dogs, just cruising in and out of shops and stuff. But there's rad music playing on the streets everywhere. It's a total movie! I feel liked I'm in a movie! :) I almost got robbed by a gypsy kid. I was being careful, but wow was this kid forceful and sneaky... He was like one foot nothing, super dirty and wouldn't leave us alone. The Ukrainian girls went off on him and he smacked one and ran. Haha. adventure.


The weather here is strange. It'll be hot and sunny one minute, 20 secs later it'll be cloudy, then it'll rain for a minute or two... random. There are canals everywhere with pretty bridges and a river called the Neva that huge barges come thru at night and they lift the bridges.


So we met up with my other Elders from the MTC on a bridge in front of the ice cream castle later... Elder D. looked a little bit assaulted and I found out later he kind of HAD been, by a crazy babushka who tried to steal him to show him around the city. I think he's traumatized about the language... which is ridiculous because he's AMAZING at it. I, on the other hand, am not that nervous even tho I suck... hm. Ironic. But Cectpa S. told me that she got blessed before she came that she would be a huge help in teaching the russian language. I know God had me in mind when he said that. :) Yes, it's meant to be. As always.


The metro is amazing! But it does totally smell like BO everywhere. It's not as bad as you would think tho. or maybe I am just being blessed not to mind it.



We get cell phones, everyone does, as long as we aren't inappropriate and text the opposite sex and stuff. I'm gonna go to the Finland temple when I renew my visa in a year! Yay! How cool is that?! And every 6 months I go to Estonia to renew my migration card.


So we went back to the President’s apartment to have dinner and shower. We were all acting like we were stoned. We've never been so silent before, but we were dying. I had zero strength, but went into the shower cuz I was nasty. It was one of those round white tubs with a shower head that shoots all over if you're a stupid foreigner and happen to turn it on without holding it... what? you think I did that??? Come on now, I've seen What a Girl Wants. I know how it goes down. :)


Then I tried to do my hair... aw, I don't want to talk about this... I happen to be devastated... I used my converters, and had sister S. help me and everything... but I almost burned down the building with my flatiron... it's dead now.... I don't really want to relive it. So I have to go buy some cheap piece of junk and a different blow dryer cuz mine is too much for the plugs here... seriously, what are these converters for!?!?! it's so ridiculous. K, I'm getting off the train. More to come! (written Jul 26, 2007)

No comments: