March 7, 2008

Learning the ways of the Dark Ages

AH! I'm back! I feel like it's been 3 months since I emailed last and I've been counting down the seconds till I could write to you! Ugh, I hate these keyboards! They make my already horrible writing even worse. I haven't read your emails yet but I'm dying to! I'm going to print them out like you said to do but I'll be so anxious to reply to them!

Okay, I've been writing to you like you are my journal everyday, but I don't have much
time, so I'm going to write what I can:

Thursday 7/26/07

Well, I'm at home from my first p-day! It was really chill and went well. We went shopping and the stores are so strange... I bought produce, so lets hope I don't get sick. And lots of juice cuz I can't drink the water and I'm sitting here munching on bread... I wonder if I will get fat... Hm. I hope not. I ALREADY am huge. Kill me if I gain more.

Then we went and bought me a flat iron and blow drier.. and pillow. The markets here are weird. There will be this desolate building, totally ghetto and deserted, right. Then you walk in and there's hundreds of people with booths set up selling random stuff. Like this mad bazaar, it's totally rad.

Then we came home and conked out. Sosyak woke me up finally and said we had to go teach English, which will probably be my favorite thing. I didn't do much this time, but i have fun trying to talk to people.

There is an adorable girl named Anastasia who is almost 18 and got baptized by NJ! She is MADLY in love with him! Everyone is. He's like a God here. Everyone is like, "You're from CA? do you know Elder J?!" but in Russian of course. And I feel so cool being like, yea, we're totally friends... hahaha

Then there is this guy, Eleya, who Elder A. baptized and who took care of my registration stuff in the city. Both he and Anastasia picked us up at the train station. He thinks I look like Lindsey Lohan... I hate her. But I guess she's cute. Maybe they think all Americans look alike, cuz I look nothing like her.

Now we're home and making dinner and stuff. I had toparamen for lunch, but Sosyak put ketchup on it for me... um? Whatever. New experience. I love it here! :)

Friday 7/27

I have a feeling I'm going to be having some crazy stories everyday, for a while at least.

I woke up with a huge spider bite this morning. The fang marks are a quarter of an inch apart. That makes me so sick.

I spent an hour showering today, if that's what you would call it... I had to ask Sosyak to light me the fire, cuz I couldn't do it... duh. And I heated two pots of water then went and squatted nudey in the bathtub with a bowl and would dip it into the hot water halfway then fill the other half with the frigid running tap water, then dump it over my head. It's quite a process, I'm not going to lie.

While I was getting dressed after, Sosyak came and got me and took me to our "balcony" which is INSIDE the kitchen and showed me how she had lured about 12 pigeons in with bread crumbs. She was like, "you like chicken?" and I laughed... until I realized she was kind of serious. I told her I would rather die and shooed the pigeons back out. Now I'm going to go blowdry my hair... I'm sure there's more to come.

P.S. My toenails are bleeding underneath... don't know why. I didn't hurt them and I wore comfy shoes. I hope it's not the water or something. haha! Pray that my toenails don't fall off.

P.P.S. Sister Sosyak made us dinner last night and it was good. Some kind of bland chicken, rice and carrot concoction. But I came out this morning and the leftovers were still on the table.. Chicken out all night, not a good idea... Maybe pigeon can be left out... who knows. But she put it in the fridge later... K, I will NOT be touching it. I want to live a little longer.

*same day*

Today was a good day. Sosyak and i met up with Elders A. and D. to go do service. PS, before I forget, I love Elder A! He's way rad! He loves all my bands and he's from Hawaii. Not to mention he is the nicest guy ever.

So we went and cleaned this cute babushka's house, which wasn't bad at all considering the alternative was washing old, naked Russians. We washed the floors while the boys beat rugs outside... Did you know that still went on, beating rugs? Yea... me neither. She gave us chocolate after. So cute. I'm huge.

We taught Anastasia's friend, Natasha. I'm a mad struggle, but everyone is really patient and I love talking to people. I just wish i could be fluent right now! But the girls seem to love me, and I love them!

We went to mutual then, which consisted of the people I've already met. The members LIVE at the church! It's their life, it's all they do. I love these people. I love my mission. It's so fun! I'm used to my scary settings and feel right at home. :)

Everyone here knows and loves Evanescence. haha and we all sat around the piano and sang a Switchfoot song (Only Hope) and they all sand it in perfect English! They have no clue what they're saying tho. :)

Saturday 7/28

I struggled waking up today, probably because I slept with my whole bod and head under the covers to keep the bugs away and didn't get any fresh oxygen during the night. Funny thing is that I woke up with some pretty freaking nasty bites... The plan majorly crashed and burned.

I lit my own fire today to make breakfast. Aren't you proud of me!? I'm learning the ways of the dark ages.

Yesterday, we contacted this woman on the street and I didn't understand anything she said, but for some reason the whole time I had words in my head I wanted to jump in and say. They were very simple, just that, "Yes, I am from America but i know this gospel is true and it makes me happy. i love the Russian people and i want everyone to know what i know so they can be happy too." It seems obvious that it would have been really easy to do that, but i didn't know if it even CLOSE to pertained to what was going on in the convo... so i didn't say anything. later, i asked my comp what was being said at that time and i told her the part where i felt like jumping in, and she told me the lady had been saying she didn't understand why I was there and wanted to know if i was being paid and stuff... She was fighting with my comp. Anyways, it would have been perfect. I've now had two opportunities pass because i don't know the language and don't realize the spirit is what's prompting me. I HAVE to get this language down! soon. (written Aug 2, 2007)

No comments: