March 8, 2008

McFlurry heaven

On Monday, my companion and I left at 2 in the morning on a train bound for PETERSBURG!!!! I LOVE that city! OMG, I LOVE IT! We had all these fun plans for when we got there, but what did I get to do the whole time?... chill in the office while my comp ran around dealing with visa issues... Luckily we are going back in 3 weeks and I get to be in a threesome while Sosyak goes to Finland for a day or two, so I can really get out into the city maybe then. :) And luckily there were elders cruising in and out of the office that day, because I made a bunch of friends and we had so much fun!
Two of the elders took Sosyak and I to a MALL!!!!! A freaking mall!!! I feel like such a stupid girl, but when we walked in, and I realized where we were, I almost cried. It was beautiful. hahahaha ANY form of normal life is kind of a dream to me at this point, so it was fun. AND I bought a mcflurry at McDonald's! It tasted like all the other dairy tastes here, but it was cold and had oreos or something in it so I was in heaven. :) And I got Subway. Wow. Real food. :)

On the train ride home, ALL the men were naked. It's just what they do here. When it's hot, they just cruise around in short shorts, and that's IT. No matter where they are. Hm. But we met this 21 year old guy who was way cool and he talked with us the whole time! We basically gave him a 4 hour lesson, and he believed ALL of it, which was AWESOME!

But any self esteem I had left flew right out the train window when he said that I looked older than 21 because I wear too much makeup and then went on to tell me that I wasn't skinny.... but then tried to justify both comments by telling me I was naturally beautiful and didn't need makeup and he didn't like how skinny all the Russian girls are. Somehow, that didn't really boost me. haha He's full on married tho, which means nothing here. He explained it to me as, "Would you want to eat eggs, all day every day for the rest of your life?" And I said, "Not eggs. But if I choose MY favorite food, then yea." But then I told him the real reasons for why being faithful to your wife is important. He says he wants to come to America and have 10 children with me... I don't think I got through to him. :) But everyone on the train ended up calling me the CA Princess because that's what he called me, and everyone knew who we were by the end of the trip, because you had to walk by us to buy beer and go to the bathroom. This guy, his name was Meesha, looked at my family pics and loved them. He just stared amazed at you guys' pics, like it was so foreign to be happy.

Did i ever tell you about my first time on the metro? Yea, it started going and I fell.... taking 20 people with me. hahaha. at least I learned my lesson. :)

So you know how I teach the advanced English class on Thursdays? Well, I guess they want me to teach Spanish now! WHAT THE HECK!? Having to translate and teach from Russian to Spanish.... probably not gonna work out for me.

I love the Russian people. they're so beautiful! Well, a lot of them... the rest... um. ;) But you can totally tell who Russians are.

The work is going amazing here! I love my mission! We have some new investigators and it's so fun! We're getting a lot from me cutting hair. :) Can i just tell you how much prayer works? Because it totally does. I prayed to learn to language and I think it's coming along this week. Little by little, it's coming. :) Maybe i should pray to improve my sports skills because this last week was horrible in soccer. haha! I think it's mostly because I was tired, but I would just stand there, and if the ball came at me and I would duck and shriek.... like a stupid girl. wow. it'll go better next week. :)
My companion always ALWAYS says "a dime a dozen," like every other sentence... "I do not think that word means what you think it means." :) just an odd little tidbit about her. (written Aug 15, 2007)

2 comments:

Lenette said...

Hi! I have a daughter that is going to Samara, Russia in a few weeks! We've enjoyed reading your blog. We were wondering what mission your daughter is in and looking forward to more posts. And any hints about what she should bring.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, all I can say is your daughter is in for the experience of a lifetime! I am going to post more on this blog today or tomorrow, so that might give you more info for her.

Mish girl is in the Russia St Pete mission.

Bring seasonings! The food there is very bland. Definitely bring a power converter.