August 29, 2008

Midnight beating

I'm so excited it's pday! I'm always bouncing around the apt in the morning and my comp hates me. haha she hates email tho...so sad. So I'm running to internet in the morning and she's like 30 feet behind me.
Today is a holiday...again. We're gonna go eat after this, then play tennis if we can (we're craving something american! ps, S. has introduced baseball here. People think it's the weirdest thing ever,) and then we have to be in by 5.
Right now I'm experiencing the most silent time of my life. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you know I hate silence. haha. Anyway, my comp just doesn't want to talk to me. It's sad, and I try, but what can you do. The other day I realized as we stopped to pray at the door before we left the apt and I said "my turn," that those were the first words uttered that morning. But at least I have the elders. And I'm working on Baikalova. Like I ask her stupid "would you rather" questions and whats your fave color type of things. Most of the time I'm answered with silence, but sometimes she responds. PROGRESS! I asked her straight up if she had a prob with me and she said no. So, nothing to do but the work. :)
I had some AMAZING contacting experiences this week! I think this is causing me to talk more to people on the streets (normally I can just add in things as my russian comps talk,) so it's probably totally meant to be. I'm teaching Spanish again. It's so interesting to teach it from Russian. hahaha! Most of my students are from my english class, and Spanish seems SO similar to english for me now that I've learned russian. So I'm kind of teaching spanish and english at the same time, if that makes sense. They think spanish and english are similar too, so it helps. I taught them ten little indians in spanish in my last class, so that was fun.
The other night, I was totally sleeping and all of the sudden we heard a man's blood curdling scream and glass breaking coming from outside. My comp and I immediately vaulted out of bed and ran to our big window. There was a man curled up in the fetal position on the sidewalk. An old man and a woman were circling him. I was like, why is nobody touching him or trying to help or something!? Tons of people walked by and finally a couple stopped and the new woman was like, what the heck? She went over to the man on the sidewalk (he was obviously drunk or something) and she started beating the CRAP out of the guy. In the face. For ten minutes straight. Then they started dragging the guy and wrestling him and beating him more. (He for sure had a black face in the morning, man, I've never seen beating like that before.) While he was lying on the ground again and being beaten by this woman, the first woman went over and was petting his back, then leaned down and whispered something to the guy. For the first time he showed sign of life. He hauled back and socked the girl in the face! Well, she took off. I was like "YEA! YOU GO GIRL! YOU WALK AWAY, YEAH!" Anyways, lots more happened, but i'm out of time.
I love you truly madly deeply do!! (written June 12, 2008)

No comments: